To help responsibly grow the tourism and recreation economy in Washington County, the Tourism Office can assist with the following key services: Event Operations, Marketing and Public Relations Support, Event Funding, Planning and Development of Sports & Recreation Venues, and Assistance with obtaining Event Permits.
For event organizers we provide the following services:
- Prepare bids and facilitate host venue agreements for events
- Act as liaison between event organizers and local agencies, facilities and other entities
- Plan and coordinate site visits
- Connect organizers with community leaders
- Assist in event logistics planning and in establishing local organizing committees
- Participate in on-site event management
- Help recruit volunteers
- Promotional support (see Marketing & PR)
- Coordination with the St. George Area Tourism Office for lodging, visitor and destination services
Marketing & PR
The Washington County Tourism Office offers promotional support to energize local communities and event participants about the event. Marketing & PR services can include:
- Creation and distribution of event press releases
- Assisting with local non-paid media coverage
- Promotion via social media and email marketing
- Assistance with photography, graphic design and video promotion
- Local signage, welcome banners, and community awareness campaigns
- Event listing and promotion on the Sports Commission and Tourism websites
The Washington County Tourism Office has established a fund to help secure and support new events that will stimulate the local economy by attracting visitors from outside Washington County. Event organizers may apply for funding to assist with marketing and promotion of their events.
Preference will be given to events that:
- Create new economic impact
- Add positive marketing exposure for the area
- Introduce the area to new audiences, markets, and demographics
- Fill hotel rooms during shoulder, off-season and on weekdays
Note: Events held from February–April, and during October, may not be eligible for funding because of high hotel occupancy.
Nonprofit funding applications are reviewed twice annually. Applications for the next funding cycle will be available December 1, 2018, with applications due February 1, 2019. Determination of funding will occur in March 2019.
For-profit funding applications are reviewed once a year. Applications for the next funding cycle will be available June 1, 2019, with applications due August 1, 2019. Determination of funding will occur in September 2019.
Should you have any questions please contact us for more information or assistance.
The Washington County Tourism Office plays a facilitating role in helping community leaders and private partners to plan and develop recreation venues and facilities that will enhance the economic opportunities for sports tourism while enriching the quality of life for residents.
In order to help stimulate sports tourism, the Sports Commission will review and consider requests for county assistance and/or funding for the development of venues, facilities, and recreational assets. After review, the Sports Commission will then make recommendations to the County Commission for future investment.
In this way, the Washington County Tourism Office helps coordinate efforts to responsibly leverage sports and event venues and other recreation assets to achieve maximum economic benefits while maintaining a quality experience for users.
Please contact the Tourism Office if you feel you have a qualifying project.
The communities in Washington County play host to a great variety of special events each year; from major sporting events and conventions, to parades, festivals and athletic activities.
This Permit Portal was created to assist event organizers in locating the necessary permit requirements and preparing applications. Below is a list of communities and agencies that have provided information about how to obtain permits in their area of jurisdiction.
To make best use of the portal:
Determine the location of your event, using our interactive map for the Washington County area.
This interactive map will give you several different options, such as being able to plot/plan your potential event course or area, or you can search by an address.
This map will help you to determine the jurisdiction which your potential event will be located in.
Click on the appropriate community and/or agency for your event
You will be able to find that information from the map or from the list below.
Download any applications, forms or checklists provided
Contact the appropriate representative for specific questions for that area
Click on the links below to be directed to the appropriate information:
When in St. George
Stop by our Tourism Office & Visitor Center for information on St. George, Zion National Park, and other attractions. It’s the perfect first stop for visitors to the area to discover something new, ask questions and pick up materials.
Open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
20 North Main Street, Suite 105,
St. George, UT 84770