Schubert Singers at the Tabernacle
The Schubert Singers is Salt Lake City’s longest continuously performing ladies’ chorus. The chorus, organized in 1933, was initially named the Wasatch Mountain Club Ladies Chorus. They presented their first concert at the Art Barn in Salt Lake City on January 26, 1934. During the early years, the chorus featured many of the choral arrangements of Franz Schubert. In 1946, to further honor this great composer, the chorus changed its name to The Schubert Singers. They often perform various selections of his at their concerts, but throughout their history, they have continually expanded their repertoire to include a wide variety of musical styles, including: Classical, Spiritual, Patriotic, Popular, Broadway, and Movie Show Tunes.
The Schubert Singers is a non-profit organization and has performed all over the Salt Lake Valley, Logan, and St. George. The members come from all walks of life with very diverse backgrounds. Some are young mothers and some are young grandmothers. Some are employed professionals, while others are retired, students, or homemakers. Dedication, love of music, and the individual talents of each member are the ingredients that have led to the success and longevity of The Schubert Singers.