After the Temple was completed in 1877, St. George leaders anticipated population boom. They knew that a new source of water was needed. They saw the springs at the base of the PineView Mountains some 18 miles away, and in 1879 recruited volunteers (shareholders) began
surveys, plans and cost estimates.
Local Shivwits tribe leaders told the surveyors that path selected was “uphill” and the waterwould run “backwards” if they persisted. Even before the canal’s completion. They began work on a dam above St. George where the canal’s water could be stored. But, … it never was. They called it “Hernia Dam”.
The open canal was finally piped with the help of the Civilian Conservation Corps boys in 1934.
Collaboration among many church, civic and federal government officials was absolutely necessary to complete this daunting feat. Drinking water from this source still serves a large
portion of downtown St. George to this day.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Richard R. Kohler is an architect/historian currently, currently
serving as president of the Washington County Historical Society.
He received a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from the University of Utah and a Master of Architecture from the
University of Hawaii, completing postgraduate studies at Harvard
University. His most recent book The Town Lot: A Little Piece of Zion waspublished in 2013. Previously, St. George: Outpost of Civilization was published in 2011 celebrating the sesquicentennial of the founding of St. George by Mormon Colonists in 1861. Richard Kohler’s architectural practice www.kohler-architecture.com is geographically and technically diverse ranging from Park City, St. George, Las Vegas and San Diego.
Suggested Donation: $4.00 ea.
Donation includes Silver Reef Museum and mine tour
admission. Registration is
suggested due to limited space – please register online: https://tinyurl.com/CottonwoodSpringsWater
or call 435.879.2254